Greymatters Earthing Design Services, an Earthing System professionally designed to ensure the safety of personnel and equipment in and around the project.
Hence, High Voltage Power System Electrical Earthing Design Process. Fundamentals and Design Standards considered. And ready for connection to the grid.
With over 25 years of experience, there isn’t a scenario or problem. That our Earthing Consultants together with our CDEGS accredited Research Engineers. Haven’t seen or solved. Which means you can breathe a little easier. Knowing your Earthing System Design is in safe hands.
Therefore using the latest world-renowned industry-accepted top 1% version of CDEGS software. Studies include:
- fault current distribution (or split).
- earth potential rise (EPR).
- and safety voltages (Touch and Step) studies.
By the way, these are packaged into a visual format. That not only achieves compliance. But also understood by all disciplines involved in the project. Not just the electrical team.
Therefore having robust useable information that crosses the disciplines. This information means, making a real difference in the delivery of a technically secure project. Meaning YOUR project.
Safety Calculations and Hot Site Assessment
So, whether routine equations. Or advanced computer simulation. Our safety calculations will deliver earthing design compliance. By using specialist software such as CDEGS. And bespoke MathCAD equations. Therefore, calculating Touch and Step Voltages. Meaning the modern-day fundamental safety-related quantum for a high-voltage electrical installation. Therefore assessment of the external environmental impact of earthing system design. By calculating surface voltages (Hot Zone). And transfer potentials to other nearby earthing systems or equipment.
Soil Resistivity Testing
Hence, the importance of a robust Soil Resistivity Testing model free from errors. Cannot be understated! The Soil Structure is a foundational requirement for every electrical earthing system design. – So, get this wrong and the subsequent electrical earthing system design may be flawed.
Incidentally, computer people amongst us would call this – GIGO (Garbage In = Garbage Out).
That’s why GreyMatters has invested in high signal injection specialist resistivity instrumentation, e.g. 400 – 800 V polarising. Thus, compared with 50 – 150 V from the more common units like the DET2/2.
Therefore, having a high signal injection voltage. Gives you reliable, robust results. In even the highest resistivity geologies. Therefore, taking the doubt out of the equation.
Therefore, always ask your earthing system design consultant. What signal voltage is being used for Soil Resistivity Testing? See a recent series of articles Soil Resistivity Testing 10 Common Mistakes.
So, from Condition Assessment Surveys. Finite element analysis (FEA) software analysis using CDEGS. And field earth measurements. For high voltage applications from 11 kV to 1,000 kV (1 MV).
HV Electromagnetic Interference (EMI) and Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) Studies
So, not all finite element software packages are the same. Which means, most earthing system design software. Continues to use a version of circuit theory-based calculations. Thereby, working out earth fault return current levels. Also, the step and touch potential risk. Therefore, similar safety-critical data. Also, potentially leading to errors. If all the data is anything less than perfect.
So, what finite element electromagnetic field theory software does for the engineer is to unchain the range and scope of scenarios modelled. – Hence it expands the possibilities of what can be studied. And also how Electromagnetic Fields produced by power systems ‘interfere’ with. Or interact with nearby structures and equipment.
So, maybe you have a GIS (Gas Insulated Switchgear) substation. Or an overhead power line. That comes into close proximity. Therefore, you know something is happening above the ground. But not sure quite what.
Likewise, an AC interference Study looks at this EMI (ElectroMagnetic Interference) voltage. Together with, the circulating current that results. Therefore, might be causing an inadvertent hazard. So, armed with this knowledge. Therefore, designing measures to deal with the risk.
Incidentally, EMI and EMC studies are not limited to under the ground. – Also above ground concerns can be studied. So let your imagination go.
So, have a quick ‘Live Chat’ with one of our online research engineers.
Electrical Earthing System Design Scope
- Design of technically secure solutions, using the very latest best practices and software tools.
- Fault current distribution modelling.
- Rise of Earth Potential Studies (RoEP, EPR or GPR).
- Safety Calculations for touch and step potentials.
- Interference Studies.
- Onsite Surveys and assessments.
- Onsite FoP measurements.
- Soil Resistivity Testing.
- Soil modelling and analysis.
- Post Construction Audits.
- Stray Current Studies.
- Earthing policy formulation.
- CAD drawings of earthing layouts.
Recently, Electrical Earthing Systems across the world have appeared to consolidate. And rationalise into a limited number of “foundational” standards. Which local codes are derived. These are typically based on IEC or IEEE versions.
Electrical Earthing Design Standards & Codes of Practice:
- BS EN 50522 Earthing of power installations exceeding 1 kV a.c.
- IEEE Std. 80 and 81 – A Guide for Safety in AC Substation Grounding.
- BS 7340 Code of practice for protective earthing of electrical installation.
- ENA TS 41–24. Guidelines for the design, Installation, Testing and Maintenance of Main Earthing Systems in Substations.
- BS EN 50122 Railway applications Electrical safety, earthing and the return circuit.
- EA Engineering Recommendation S34. A Guide for Assessing the Rise of Earth Potential at Substation Sites.
- EA Engineering Recommendation S36. Procedure to Identify and Record “HOT’ Substations and amendment.
- IEC 479-1, Effects of Current on Human Beings and Livestock, IEC.
- ISIS Practice EPT/PPS/B014, Working Practices at Electricity Stations, British Telecommunications.
If High Voltage Power Systems and Lightning are causing you concern why not have a quick ‘Live Chat’ below as a start.